Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The End

Well, this isn’t easy.

They say all good things must come to an end. While I’d hesitate to call this site “good”, it is indeed coming to an end.

If you don’t care for the details, I understand and just thank you for reading. I hope you enjoyed this goofy blog from time to time. For the rest of you, read on and I’ll try and explain.

A few months ago, I decided that I was ready to put an end to DesigNate Robertson. The time and energy I once had to put into the site had vanished. An increased workload at my real job and increased responsibilities with my son severely impacted my ability to make dick jokes about the baseball men in Detroit. I made the decision to stick around until the end of the season, but a recent medical hardship in my family has erased that possibility. Any free time I once had is now about to be pretty much gone. My family needs me now and that’s all I’m really comfortable saying about what’s happening.

Anyway, what started as a way to kill time and amuse myself turned into a nearly four year run of Don Kelly jokes, Simonson-bashing, and other assorted Tigers related nonsense. I never pictured it lasting as long as it did, but I had a blast trying to make you all laugh and to occasionally think outside the box. I hope you enjoyed it half as much as I did writing it. Well, most of it. A lot of it sucked. ANYWAY…

I can’t end this without thanking a few people.

Thanks to (Uncle) Ian Casselberry for being the first person to tell folks about this site and helping me in the early days. If it weren’t for Ian, there wouldn’t have been a DNR. So blame that asshole if you hated it.

Thanks to Kurt Mensching of Bless You Boys for his constant support of DNR and for his help whenever I needed it. He’s a great guy, an excellent writer, and the number one reason BYB is the best Tigers site out there.

While I’m kissing BYB’s ass, I have to thank Big Al, Alli, Rob, Melissa, and everyone else that’s been associated with the site for their constant links and help in spreading my gospel of stupidity. You guys rule.

Thanks to Jennifer Cosey for encouraging me to continue this site when I got lazy in the past. A bigger thanks to her for just being my friend. That may not be a big deal to many of you, but it is to me.

Thanks to certain members of the Detroit Tigers organization for their kind words and support. You know who you are and I swear I’ll never tell.

Thanks to Bill Simonson for being so fucking awful at his job and giving me easy material nearly every week.

Ditto to Don Kelly, Brandon Inge, and Nate Robertson. The only difference is, those guys are great people. Simonson is garbage. (Just had to say it one more time.)

Thanks to the writers of “Fire Joe Morgan” and “Kissing Suzy Kolber” for being brilliant and inspiring me to rip them off more times that I can count. I wish I was half as good at writing as those guys.

To Detroit bloggers, Tigers beat writers, and other folks that have linked me and told friends about the site, I can’t thank you enough. I never expected the readership to get where it did and hear from as many folks from all over the world as I have. Keep up the good work.

To people that didn’t understand what I was doing, stopped by to be a mouth-breathing troll, or just quite simply had no sense of humor, eat shit and die. None of this was for you.

Finally, thanks to all of you for reading and sharing your comments over the years. A site is nothing without people reading it and I’ve always tried to treat every person that’s reached out to me with respect, whether we agreed or not. It’s the least I could do for you. That’s why I never put ads up on the site. It just didn’t seem right to me. Whatever. Thanks. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate the kind words I’ve received due to this site.

That’s about it. I’ll still be around on Twitter at @DNR_Rogo providing my unique thoughts such as “Brennan Boesch sux lol” during Tiger games. Don’t be afraid to say hi.

But for now, I say goodbye. Thanks for everything. Go Tigers.

/drops mic

/walks off stage

55 comments:

Sutelc said...

You'll be missed, Rogo. Kurt and the BYB staff are amazing, but your sense of humor made this the best Tigers blog on the planet for the past few years. Suffering through Huge and the other M-livers won't be as easy without you to put them in their place. Best of luck to you and your family.

Paulbakosnumberonefan said...

Sorry to see you go Rogo. You did manage to outlast this blogs patron saint Nate, Inge and Kelly, so that's something. I understand how draining those family medical situations can be and I'll be hoping for the best for you and for your family. I guess I'll finally have to sign up for that Twitter thing after all...

dishnet34 said...

Hey, man, it's so sad to see ya go. It was great reading all of this hilarious stuff every single day, but I understand your situation, and hope that your family will be OK. You did a nice job with this blog, and it will be missed.

Marty said...

Hey, Rogo, I have to say that I will truly miss your blog. As a 50-something, Christian grandma I'm probably not your typical reader, but I've been enjoying your writing here for several years. Keep your wonderful sense of humor, and may God bless you.

Ian Casselberry said...

Standing O for you, Rogo. As I said on the Twitter, blogging is a grind and life doesn't go on hold for it. So you need to do what's best for you.


You had a great run that's been enjoyed and can continued to be enjoyed since the internet keeps it all up for you. The Tigers blogosphere very much needed your voice and you did a great job of providing it.

Keith said...

I would read this blog everyday, your humor and insight will missed, thanks Rogo for the laughs

Don Kelly's Flaming Shoe said...

Thanks for years of making me laugh even when the Tigers were making me want to pull my hair out. Hope everything works out with your situation. Happy to hear you'll still be on Twitter. Thanks again Rogo.

Kurt Mensching said...

You got to say things I only wish I could! I envy that. Good luck with your family and everything else, Scott.

John Parent said...

Thanks, Scott, for providing all the laughs and smiles over the last four years. You are far more talented than you claim to be. Be well and best of luck.

Joshua Ahsoak said...

Thanks for everything Rogo.

Bob said...

Thanks for the blog....Good luck with the family.. Hope everything works out for you...Go tigers!!!!!!!

take care
Bob

Nick S said...

Thanks for everything, I've enjoyed reading your blog for about the last year. It will be missed. Good luck to you and your family.

Norah said...

Thanks for your blog. Hope things turn out ok for your family.

Jack Beckman said...

Rogo,


Hope all works out for your family. Thanks for bringing some humor and perspective into the season.

riotgear said...

Thanks for the laughs Rogo. Best of luck with the family.

Kimberly said...

You'll be missed! Good luck to you and your family!

bobrob2004 said...

Best of luck to you and your family. Hopefully one day you'll be able to resume this blog.

EightMileCats said...

Well, Rogo... sad to see you go. You've provided great entertainment at work or after having to shut of a Tiger's game out of frustration. I do hope all goes well for you and your family. Perhaps we'll see you back one day.
Best of luck, Rogo.

Rick Lehman said...

Rogo, Thanks for the great articles and all that other crap. When it comes to family, you gotta step up to the plate. Good luck and Go Tigers.

tigerfantroy said...

I wasn't an avid reader of your blog but what I did read was entertaining and usually pretty humorous. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. Best of luck and Thanks

h2opolopunk said...

Well dude, they say all good things must come to an end. While I'm sad that I won't be entertained by your irregularly updated blog, I want to thank you for everything you've put into it. I've LOLed and ROLFed quite a bit thanks to you. Additionally, I wish the best for you and your family, and hope your future endeavors are at least as entertaining as this was. Lastly, I hope all of your haters eat a bowl of herpes-infested dicks and die a pus-choked death.


So long, and thanks for all the jokes.


Lubs and curses,
The H2OPoloPunk

PopeyeTigerFan said...

Rogo, thanks for the laughs! Blessings to you and your family!

weis14 said...

Thanks Rogo, this site was the best.

Julie said...

This was a site that riotgear and I both had to read as part of our marriage. You'll be missed!

Stacey said...

Rogo - I've been reading your blog religiously now for over a year, when I stumbled upon a great article you wrote about JV. I just want to say thank you for hilarious blog and humor about everyone's favorite Detroit Sports team. You will be missed. Take Care of yourself and your family. Best wishes for the future!

Detroit4lyfe said...

Thanks for making me laugh, Rogo. And remember, like Neifi Perez, there will always be someone who wants you to come back.

original tigers fan said...

well. rogo. thanks for being you, and although, i never posted, i always read,,,,, you will be missed. good luck to you and your family

America said...

Rogo we love you!

msflyingbomb said...

Long-time reader, first-time commenter. Just want to wish you and your family all the best. And to thank you for years of entertainment. Your unique voice will be sorely missed. I'll continue to follow on twitter. Throw us a Huge crumb once in a while though, otherwise I'm going to have to actually read the dude's column and try to insert sarcastic and vulgar remarks myself. Somehow I don't think I'll be as good at that as you are.

Andy Ayers said...

Thanks, Rogo for the that unique Tuleduh viewpoint on Tigers baseball. Good luck

SRogo said...

Very humbling. Thanks to all of you for your kind words. Means more than you know.

Matthew Rouser said...

Thanks for everything Rogo! I will miss this. A LOT. Living abroad for several years, your site and BYB are some of the only things that keep me grounded and sane some times.


Wishing you and your family all the best moving forward.


Happy trails

ben said...

Long time reader. Will miss reading as much as I already miss Fu-Te Ni

Happy Otter said...

Rogo - I only started reading your blog this year, but I really enjoyed it. It's a shame that I won't be able to anymore. I wish you the best of luck with your family and life outside the blogoshpere.

JimWalewander said...

Sincere thanks for all the laughs - wishing you and your family the very best. We'll miss you.

JimWalewander said...

^ this.

Cabfielander said...

Farwell, Rogo. I will miss reading you put Huge in his place.

AndrewP said...

Terribly sorry to hear you go but more concerned for your family. Well done making the right, albeit hard, decision. You created a unique community of Tigers fans with a sense of humor and appreciation for something other than BInge's tattoos. Good luck to you and yours. Feel proud about what you accomplished and continue to teach your son the joys of the Detroit Tigers.

John Thorpe said...

You were a welcome oasis inbetween a circle-jerk of "they can do no wrong" and "they can do nothing right" -- the perfect balance. Well played.

guitarin_goalie said...

I can only echo what everyone else said. A friend turned me on to your site about this time last year and I've been hooked ever since. On days you didn't post, I'd go read an old post. Your perspective & humor have been great and your priorities are in the right place. Best to you & yours.

-Q

Derek Schwanger said...

Aw, Jumbo, we hardly knew ya........

Roger said...

Good luck Rogo in all that you do and thanks for the years of hilarity. Blogs like yours keep me from doing actual work here in the office for a portion of every day, which of course is fantastic. I'll be honest... it will probably be a year before I delete the DNR link out of my browser toolbar. You know... just in case.

Jay Hathaway said...

Good luck, Rogo

Jay Hathaway said...

Thanks for the laughs

craggt said...

* weeps openly* WHY ROGO WHY?!!!! I NEED A TIGERS EXCLUSIVE DREW MAGARY IN MY LIFE!!! Seriously though I've been reading you for almost 4 years now and I can honestly say that DNR was my favorite Baseball website, even more than BYB or ROTT. You made Tiger's baseball fun, even when Delmon was playing. If you ever find the time again please start writing again. Or just be a guest columnist at BYB. Also fuck Jared Weaver.

Jen said...

I wouldn't ordinarily say this publicly, but thank you, Scott for writing so much great content. Thank you for writing "Rogonac" pieces when I whined for them. Thank you for making me laugh on days I sorely needed it. Thank you for letting me vent about my Tiger angst. Thank you for your friendship.

Amber said...

Well Rogo, I've been reading your blog for almost two years now. I've gotta say no one quite captures the humor in baseball like you do. Although I do admire your decision and wish your family well, just know you'll be missed. Along with all those Don Kelly jokes... I think I'll miss those most. PLEASE whatever you do, don't take the site down. I still love reading back through the older stuff, even years later.

Dustin said...

Although I was only here for a single year, it was one of the most enjoyable watching Tigers' baseball. Thank you Rogo for your great blog. I will definitely be checking your tweets, and I hope all goes well with your immediate family and at work!

Timothy Joseph Forbes said...

Thanks for the great material good luck in the afterlife!

Russell White said...

All the best Rogo. Had a great time reading everything and you will be missed my friend. I hope your family makes it through whatever hardships you guys are having, and if you ever want to feel better about Toledo, come to Flint. I owe you a beer.

Caff said...

You will truly be missed. This was, by far and away, my favorite site for Tigers tomfoolery. Good luck in the future and I hope all ends well for you. It is much deserved.

frisbeepilot said...

Thanks so much for your writing over the years. Tiger fans can get pretty serious and sullen; I've greatly enjoyed the bits of levity you've thrown our way. Thank you!

Ross said...

This site was saved on my toolbar and would check it a few times a week for laugh out loud Tigers material. Thanks for the laughs, gunna miss it.

Greg Eno said...

Not a good day for the world of Tigers blogging, or for the trolls. Be well, my friend!

Greg said...

Really enjoyed the blog and sharing it with my teenage son (I'm not known for having good judgement). Several good conversations were started with "did you see what Rogo wrote" and for that I thank you. The best to you and your family.