Raise your hand if you thought this is where the Tigers would be after 50 games? Yeah. Me neither.
I’m abandoning the Every Ten Games review idea. At least for now. Finding stuff to write about, especially when I normally try to keep a humorous view of the game at DNR, just isn’t very easy right now.
Instead, I thought I’d make a list of what has gone wrong this year off the top of my head. I came up with 25 much quicker than I should have.
1. When they pitch well, odds are they don’t score many runs.
2. When they hit well, the pitching is awful.
3. Doug Fister can’t stay healthy.
4. Austin Jackson hits the DL when he’s putting together a Top Five MVP campaign.
5. We can’t go ONE GAME without an umpire screwing up a call that costs us a run or allows the other team to score.
6. While Cabrera has been better than expected on defense, Fielder has been worse. He’s the worst defensive infielder I’ve seen in Detroit since Eric Munson.
7. Delmon Young and Brennan Boesch have zero plate discipline and it’s difficult to watch. We can only afford to have one in the lineup and expect to score consistently with them in the heart of the order.
8. Brennan Boesch is the laziest defensive outfielder in history.
9. Porcello and Scherzer are frustratingly inconsistent.
10. Ryan Raburn is lost. Beyond lost.
11. Jhonny Peralta looks to have aged 10 years in the offseason.
12. Alex Avila appears to be hurting all the time. That or 2011 was a fluke.
13. Schlereth, Balester, Putkonen, and Weber all turned out to be dumpster fires out of the pen.
14. Don Kelly is still on the team. And occasionally leading off.
15. Jose Valverde has been the opposite of what he was last season.
16. Andy Dirks has been a nice surprise, but he can’t stay healthy.
17. Dotel and Villarreal, while decent overall, have seen their control abandon them in the worst possible situations.
18. Jim Leyland is a stubborn fool at times when it comes to lefty/righty stuff, his batting orders, and bullpen decisions.
19. Brandon Inge. For and against us.
20. Cleveland is the luckiest team alive and we severely underestimated Chicago.
21. We have no bench. It’s a bunch of defensive subs. There’s not one guy that can hit the ball on the bench.
22. There is no team leader anymore. Ordonez, Guillen, V-Mart, and Inge are gone. Like it or not, these guys were the team’s leadership cornerstones.
23. The minor league system continues to be in shambles at the Triple A level.
24. Luis Marte and Al Alburquerque’s injuries.
25. Endless mental mistakes on offense, defense, and running bases on things you learn in little league.
Add more if you like. Or don’t. It’s not a fun time to be a Tigers fan.
No, I am not giving up on this team after 50 games. If guys start playing to their abilities, I think they can turn things around quickly. Especially in the AL Central.
But like Brandon Inge after the Prinice signing, I am currently not a happy camper. I’m going to take a break from writing for a few days.
If you’re at the game on Sunday, look for me in the blue Ordonez jersey. Probably with something in my eye before the game.