Saturday, November 12, 2011

Gr8: #3 Justin Verlander, Human Cyborg

The “Great Eight of 2011” will be a look at the eight Tigers that impressed me the most in 2011. The order I am choosing these players in is not necessarily who the best overall player was. No, these guys are simply the ones that made me say “wow” more than anyone for whatever reason.

Whoa, whoa, whoa…Miss Lippy. Number three? How in the name of Norm Cash’s nutsack can Justin Verlander be only #3 on a list of 2011’s most impressive Tigers? Rogo, have you gone cukoo? Nutso? Bonkers? Another 1940’s slang word for f’n crazy?

No. JV was excellent. I was just personally more impressed by two other guys on the team this year when I looked at the big picture. But we’ll get to those guys later. Because nothing can and/or should take away from the amazing year put together by the greatest pitcher I’ve even seen in a Tigers uniform, Justin Brooks Verlander.

Let’s just run down a list of accomplishments put together by the cyborg known as JV this season.

-Named to his 4th All-Star team.

-Sporting News Pitcher AND Player of the Year

-Cy Young Award Winner (will be announced soon)

-AL Pitching Triple Crown Winner (leader in wins, ERA, and strikeouts)

-AL leader in W-L %, innings pitched, ERA+, WHIP, and WAR among pitchers.

-Tied for 1st in overall WAR for the AL (via baseball.reference.com).

-2nd career no-hitter.


And here’s a few other lesser known stats about his season that jumped out at me.

-Home ERA of 2.37, away ERA of 2.43. Verlander’s year was not a product of pitching at Comerica Park. It was a product of being awesome.

-12-4, 2.15 ERA in the 1st half. 12-1, 2.79 ERA in the second half. He was a horse all year.

-Despite his overall domination, April was still his roughest month, as has been Verlander’s M.O. for his career. April (and a start in March) saw his ERA, runs, walks, and homers allowed all be higher than any other month. Imagine the year he would have put together if he could just figure out the first month of the season.

-In his five losses this year, he still had an ERA of only 3.38.

-Justin was 23-0 when the Tigers scored 3 or more runs.


I could go on. But what can I say about Justin Verlander that hasn’t been said already? We expect it out of him at this point. I guess that’s why he’s only #3 on my personal Great Eight list. Win 30 games next time, asshole!

I’ll say it again. Verlander is the greatest pitcher I’ve ever seen pitch for the Tigers in 26 seasons as a fan. He is a once in a lifetime pitcher and I hope that you all, like myself, do not take him for granted.

There are special players and there are amazing players. Justin Verlander is fucking amazing times ten.

Even if he does wear pink shirts sometimes. Douchebag…

3 comments:

Jay Hathaway said...

Let's not forget that he's not afraid to put Magglio in a chokehold.
/looks up and right

H2OPoloPunk said...

In a bar fight between Mickey Lolich, Denny McClain and Verlander... ok McClain would probably win.

But Verlander is the most incredible Tigers pitcher of my generation (we're the same age, Rogo) and may one day replace Trammell as my all-time favorite Tiger. 

Pu that in your bong and smoke it, Jack Morris.

Wm Westbrook said...

Hal Newhouser might win, with that Depression-era pain threshold.