Sunday, January 31, 2010

The DNR 25: #17 Travis Fryman


Full Name
David Travis Fryman

DOB
3/25/69

College
None (J.M. Tate High School, Pensicola, FL)

Drafted
1987, 1st round, 30th pick

MLB Seasons
1990-2002

Tiger Seasons
1990-1997

Career Stats
.274 Avg, 223 HR, 1022 RBI, .779 OPS, 103 OPS+

Career Leaderboard
5 time All Star (’92, ’93, ’94, ’96, ’00)
Silver Slugger: 1992
Gold Glove: 2000

Best Tiger Season
Fryman was one of the most consistent Tigers I’ve had the pleasure of watching. You could pencil him in at the beginning of the season for a .270, 20, 90 campaign seemingly every year. 1993 was his best Tiger season, though, when he hit .300, with 22 homers, 97 RBI, and an OPS+ of 133.

Travis had a lot of pressure on him as many saw him as the guy replacing Alan Trammell as not only the Detroit shortshop, but possibly the team’s leader of the future. He handled that pressure well before moving to third base and Chris Gomez became the Tiger shortshop of the future…which didn’t last long.

Little Known Fact
In 1993, Fryman became the first Tiger since Hoot Evers in 1950 to hit for the cycle. Since then, only Damien Easley and Carlos Guillen have accomplished the feat.


Reason For Being On The List
My dad wasn’t big into baseball. Therefore, we hardly ever made it to the ballpark together, whether it be in Detroit or a Mud Hens game here in Toledo. Well, the only time I can ever remember just the two of us going to a ballgame together, we were watching the Hens play in what must have been 1990, according to Fryman’s minor league stats. I was 13 years old and at my first ever game (that I recall) when my dad asked me which guy on the field I thought would end up becoming a star with the Tigers. His choice was a skinny centerfielder named Scott Lusader. My pick was a young Travis Fryman. I win, Dad. Hahahahahah…I rule.

Obviously, over time, there were many more reasons for me to enjoy Travis. He was a steady bat, a good glove, and always seemed to be a decent guy. He wasn’t much on personality, but you can’t have everything. I was pretty upset when he ended up traded for a big pile of nothing.

What Happened To Him?
On November 18, 1997, Fryman was traded to the Arizona Diamondbacks for Matt Drews, Gabe Alvarez, and Joe Randa. My bad…that was three big piles of nothing. Less than a month later, he was shipped off to the Cleveland Indians with Tom Martin and cash for slugging third baseman, Matt Williams. He stuck around with the Tribe for another five years before retiring due to injury.

In 2008, he became manager of the Class A Mahoning Valley Scrappers. In this past offseason, he was a finalist to be the Indians manager, losing out to Manny Acta. I’m sure he’ll get his chance someday.

Travis has three children named Mason, Branden, and Cole.

Info ripped off of baseball-reference.com and Wikipedia.
Pics via Google.

No comments: