Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Sheff, We Hardly Knew Ye

Bondo and Zoom are on the DL again. Dontrelle's crazy. Nate's Nate. Many sportswriters are picking Detroit to finish last again. Rough start before the season even starts. At least we've still got Gary's #500 to look forward to this year, right?

Nope. Gary's been released. Sheff Haters are high-fiving each other as I write this. My initial thoughts? Not a fan...two reasons.

1) We're on the hook for $14 million. That's a lot of cash to let walk away for nothing. A year ago, if you told me that by next season Pudge and Sheff would be gone and all we'd have to show for it was a couple crappy months of The Farns? I'd be looking for Randy Smith with his hand up a DD puppet.

2) I understand that Gary hasn't been great in Detroit. He's old. He's been hurt. He hasn't hit well. But the man gets on base. He walks a ton. And we haven't had a chance to see him healthy yet, until this year. Along with Cabrera and Maggs, he's the guy other teams wouldn't want to face. Thames, Larish, Josh Anderson, or Super Clete...those guys can't affect a game by just standing in the batter's box like Sheff can.

I hope Larish turns out to be great. And if it's Marcus getting a chance, I wish him well. He's a good guy and I like hearing Rod talk about Marcus' grandmother. But throwing $14 million out the window to find out what we have is a gamble that I wouldn't have taken.

No comments: