Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Pen

Seeya, Matt Joyce. Nice to know you. Not sure how I feel about this one yet. Tampa fans seem happy to lose Jackson, though. That scares me. If we're using the term "Jackson 5" to describe his ERA this year, it's going to seem like a waste of The Artist Formerly Known As Thundercat's trade value. I'd have liked to get a closer for him.

Anyhoo...Double D's been busy this week. Yet we still have nothing in the bullpen except the guys who made me break stuff in fits of anger last year. We need a closer and, hopefully, another guy to round out the pen until the kittens are ready to come up from the minors. The Farns will be visiting us as a Royal this year eliminating any chance of Dombrowski signing him to a long-term deal. (Thank God) K-Rod's off the market. The Putz is a set-up man for the Mets. Cleveland got Wood. Who's still out there?

Luis Ayala
Joe Beimel
Chad Cordero
Juan Cruz
Alan Embree
Keith Foulke
Brian Fuentes
Eric Gagne
Eddie Guardado
Trevor Hoffman
Jason Isringhausen
Brandon Lyon
Dennys Reyes
Arthur Rhodes
Juan Rincon
John Smoltz

I've also seen rumors linking us to possible trades for George Sherrill, Huston Street, CJ Wilson, and Francisco Cordero. The White Sux have also said that Bobby Jenks may be available, but probably not to us.

Where do we go? Well, thanks to Ian at BYB, I've got a man-crush on Cruz and would love to get him, despite him being at Type A free agent. I remain a fan of Reyes' stuff and would prefer him as a lefty over Beimel, whom we've been linked to. I'll always love Huston Street for serving up Magglio's Tiger icon clinching moment back in '06, but I'm not sure I'd want him. Fuentes is probably too expensive for us. Lyon's a younger Todd Jones, which would do nothing to help my hairline.

Basically, I have no friggin' clue. Double D can do the predictible (Everett, Laird) and the next day pull stuff out of nowhere (Cabrera, Jackson). He's not an idiot, though. He's saying Rodney could be the closer next year, but I don't think he seriously means that. It's most likely an attempt to not seem desperate. But the cupboard's getting bare when it comes to legit closers out there. We'll see what the end of the Vegas meetings brings.

Unless we just make Nate the closer...

3 comments:

Blake said...

The Tigers need to stay away from the likes of Lyon and CJ Wilson, those guys are gas cans. If something happens, that would be great, but I don't think they should force the issue with one of those guys.

Ian C. said...

We'll always have Facepalm. I just hope it doesn't become 2009's "Who's Your Tiger?"

Juan Cruz!

Blake said...

The Tigers need to stay away from the likes of Lyon and CJ Wilson, those guys are gas cans. If something happens, that would be great, but I don't think they should force the issue with one of those guys.